Russell Hobbs Legacy Coffee Maker Review
This is our review of the popular Russell Hobbs Legacy coffee maker. This filter coffee machine is part of their "Legacy" line and in this line they also do toasters, kettles, microwaves etc.
This filter machine has an RRP of £54.99. However, there are usually discount offers online and now and then you can find discount prices in supermarkets. It is worthwhile searching around to see what price you can get this one for.
Who Would Buy the Russel Hobbs Legacy?
This type of filter machine is for people who like the taste of filter coffee. This type of machine does not make espresso style coffee. Instead it uses the filter style where medium sized coffee grains get flooded with water.
Usually this is a stronger taste and it collects into a glass carafe, so you simply pour from that into your cup or mug. This "Legacy model" does have a keep warm feature and it can make up to 10 cups of coffee.
A Little About the Russell Hobbs Brand
Russel Hobbs were formed in 1952 when Bill Russell and Peter Hobbs teamed up to transform kitchens across Britain. They wanted to create products that make home life easier and more enjoyable.
The first automatic electric kettle was one of many groundbreaking innovations from Russell Hobbs. Russell Hobbs are one of the leading domestic appliance brands in the UK.
Legacy 20683 Specification
The model number of this one is 20683 in case you are looking for spares. Just below we have outlined the important specifications and technical details of this filter machine.
- This coffee machine has been recently upgraded to what is called a shower head technology - in other words the water is passed over the coffee grinds much better than before to extract the full taste of the ground beans
- When brewing you will see an illuminated red ring which will then go out when your coffee is ready
- It can make up to 10 large cups
- Measures 36.4 x 28 x 21 cm and weighs 2.4 kg
- Has a glass carafe with a capacity of 1.2 litres
- Uses a permanent filter so no need to buy paper filters
- This model is a cream colour in keeping with the Russell Hobbs Legacy line of products
- It has a 24 hour programmable timer so as you can set it to make your coffee in the morning or any other desired time of the day
- It also has a hot plate to keep the coffee warm without over brewing it
- Comes with a UK 3 pin plug
- Dishwasher safe
- Comes with a coffee scoop
- Has a water level indicator
- Also has a pause brewing and pour feature
- Has an autoclean feature
What Buyers Say About this Coffee Maker
Overall buyers have given this coffee maker an 88% average buyer satisfaction. That is a good enough rating considering the price and the features that you get on this particular machine.
Just below we have a pros and cons table that show what buyers said about this machine after they had bought it, used it and then taken the time to leave a review.
- 56% of all buyers gave this a full 5 star review
- If you have other Legacy products then this one is also a great match for your kitchen
- Most buyers said that this one was good value for money
- Most buyers said it did make great tasting coffee
- 10% of all buyers gave this machine a bad review
- A few buyers said it doesn't perk as hot as they would like it
- A few buyers said they didn't like the plastic construction
Our Verdict on the Russell Hobbs Legacy
We have no doubt that this one is good value for money. Most buyers said that it make good coffee, but you do have to experiment to get the right strength for you.
The manufacturer states one scoop per cup. However if like me you like your filter coffee strong, then simply add more coffee until you find the right strength.
The timer function is useful if you like to come down to the smell and the taste of a freshly brewed cup of coffee in the morning.
Buyers also liked the filter, the reheat feature and the fact that this was easy to clean.
If this is not the filter coffee machine for you, then please feel free to check our top ten list of filter machines, by clicking right here.
We wanted to mention hot plates on filter coffee machines as these have changed over the years. Many hardened coffee drinkers like to make a large pot, and then just leave it on the hot plate so as they can have a cup or mug when they want.
A few years ago most filter machines did that, some pretty well and others not so good. However leaving a hot plate on permanently did stew the coffee a bit, and aside from that it was dangerous and considered a fire risk.
To counteract that, manufacturers were instructed under legislation, that they could still include a hot plate, but that it would have to have an automatic cut-off on it. You will find that on all filter machines now. That cut-off period is typically 30-45 minutes.
That is frustrating for filter coffee drinkers, but it is of course safer.
With this machine it stays on for 45 minutes, but there is also a handy reheat feature so you can use that. Another method is that you can simply pour a cup and heat it up in the microwave.
Russell Hobbs Legacy FAQ
We always find that when we are reading reviews people answer many important questions about the product. When we find those we like to include those questions and answers, as they may be important decisions for you. You can find those just below.
Q. Can I Pick How Many Cups I Can Make?
A. Yes it makes up to 10, but you do have other choices. If you don’t need that many, it can be set to make 1-4 cups, which offers some choice.
Q. Does this machine have a timer?
A. Yes it does as there is a clock on it. You use the hours and minutes buttons to set the time. Once that is done you will see the word "Auto" on the display and it is good to go after that.
Q. Do You Need Paper Filters?
A. No because this one has a permanent nylon filter which works pretty well and is easy to wash. Some people want to eliminate grains of any kind and if you want to do that, you can of course add a paper filter. Just be aware that if you use paper filters you do lose a small amount of flavour.
According to buyers size Number 4 are the best fit.
Overall the Russell Hobbs Legacy coffee machine gets good reviews and is in the affordable range for filter machines. It looks well and is of course a good choice if you happen to own other kitchen products in their Legacy range.