Moulinex AR1100 Coffee Grinder UK Review
This is our UK review of the Moulinex AR1100 coffee grinder, or as the manufacturer calls it, "The Original" Coffee and Spice Mill. As you will see from the image below this one comes in a striking orange colour, and that appeals to some buyers in the UK.
It can be used to grind coffee but can also be used to grind spices, soft and/or peeled nuts. It has a 50 gram capacity and has a stainless steel bowl and blade.
It is at the higher end of the price points for this type of blade grinder, with an average price of around £30. That will of course vary depending on where you make your final purchase, should you decide to buy this particular model.
Overall those who have bought this Moulineux grinder, have given it an average buyer satisfaction rating of 76%. This is a good solid rating without being exceptional.
Using this grinder is like most blade grinders a very simple process. You pop your coffee beans in (or seeds/nuts etc), and then push down on the lid to do the actual grinding.
You can see through the lid to check the state of your grind. Below we get into this grinder review in a lot more detail.
Just below you can see a close up image of this grinder.
How Buyers Rate the Moulinex AR1100
- Overall buyers have rated this blade grinder with a 76% buyer satisfaction
- 67% of all buyers gave this one a 5 star review
- 12% of buyers gave this one a bad rating
It is worth pointing out to you that although the overall satisfaction for this grinder is good, and the 5 star rating is also very good, it is unusual to have double figure percentage bad ratings.
We explain why this is the case below.
What Buyers Say About the Moulinex AR1100
We know the average price is around £25, and that the average buyer satisfaction rating is 74%. In this section we like to dive in to what buyers had to say about the grinder, after they have bought it and used it.
- The majority of buyers really liked the appearance of this grinder
- Buyers said it delivered an even and consistent grind for coffee beans and other spices
- Most buyers said this grinder was very quiet when compared to others that they had used
- Overall most buyers said this was a good quality grinder that was fast and easy to use
- Some disgruntled buyers said that this model broke down after some use
- A few buyers said it was impossible to clean
- Some didn't like the plastic cap
Video Review of the Moulinex AR1100 Coffee Grinder
Just below you will find an unboxing video of this grinder. It is well worth a quick look if you have the time.
Moulinex AR1100 Specification
Many people before they buy a product, like to know and understand the full technical specification of the product. We have therefore provided that information below, and explained why each feature is important.
- This is a good grinder to grind coffee beans, spices, soft nuts & peeled fruits - will not work for the harder nuts
- It has a powerful 180 watt motor (Most grinders use 150 watt motors so this one is more powerful than most)
- It has a 50 Gram capacity which for a blade grinder is good
- Simple to use, just press the lid to grind
- Stainless steel bowl and blade
- Measures 22.2 x 12.2 x 11.8 cm
- Weighs 980 grams
- Made from stainless steel
- Comes fitted with a UK plug
When compared to other models this one has a pretty standard specification. The main differences is the very distinctive orange colour, and the slightly larger motor.
Consider an Upgrade - Blade to Burr
This grinder is a blade grinder. All blade grinders will grind coffee beans to a certain degree. Burr grinders are always a better but more expensive option.
These blade grinders also work well for herbs, nuts and spices so they are useful and they are usually relatively cheap. (£15-30)
There are two problems with ALL blade grinders:
- They heat up if used for too long, and that can burn the coffee grains and beans and leave them bitter
- The grounds are usually inconsistent with larger parts of the bean left unchopped and that makes for bad coffee
Burr grinders squeeze the bean and get all the flavour out and give a much better and consistent grind. The downside is that they are more expensive with an average cost of around £45 for a good one.
If you are a coffee lover, then you should always own a burr grinder. We have done a top 10 list here, which you can check out.
Our Verdict on the Moulinex AR1100 Coffee Grinder
Moulineux are a brand who have been around for a very long time. They are part of Groupe SEB brand and are of course a French brand.
This is very much a "retro style," and many buyers prefer this style to the more modern and contemporary styles.
With reference to the colour, we reckon you will either love it or hate it. For now we will just class that as being different.
It certainly stands out in the crowded UK market for its style. Overall buyers rate this blade grinder highly, though the number of bad ratings is much higher than we would like to see.
If this is not the blade grinder for you, then check out our top 10 list of blade grinders by clicking here.
Overall though buyers do seem satisfied and a grinder is always going to be a useful kitchen gadget to own, especially if you like your spices.
This model is an interesting choice and the Moulinex AR1100 coffee grinder, appears to do a decent job of grinding coffee beans consistently.