Russell Hobbs Chester Grind and Brew Coffee Machine 22000 UK Review
This is our review of the popular Russell Hobbs Chester Grind and Brew Coffee Machine with the model number 22000. This is one of the highest selling quick brew filter machines on the UK market.
Most filter machines will either need to use pre-ground coffee, or you will have to buy whole coffee beans and then grind those. This one actually has a grinder built in to it, so you can pour the beans into this machine, and then grind them just before using them to make your filtered coffee.
That feature of a built-in mill makes this filter machine quite different to many of the other filter machines on the UK market. It also makes this filter machine more expensive than a typical and more basic filter maker.
You can see an image of this coffee maker just below.
How Buyers Rate the Chester Grind & Brew
Overall buyers have given this 22000 model a 76% buyer satisfaction rating
- 52% of all buyers gave this one a full 5 star rating
- 14% of all buyers gave this one a bad rating
What Buyers Say About the Chester Grind & Brew
We never like to see such a high percentage of bad ratings (14%) as that is never a very good sign. Just below we have explained how that has come about so as you know all of the details, before you consider buying this model.
These were as a result of complaints about:
- Breaking down after a few months - A number of buyers said the machine worked well but then broke down anything between 4-12 months later
- Not making hot coffee - this is a common complaint for many filter coffee makers and quite a few buyers reported this as an issue
- Water leaking - A few buyers said the water started to leak out of the bottom of the machine
14% of bad reviews is never a good thing, and the complaints shown above explain why these are so high. These are not just niggles, they are serious complaints.
That said there are more happy than disappointed buyers, and overall the buyer satisfaction is respectable without being fantastic. Buyers did like:
- The program and timing features and thought they were very useful and easy to use
- Buyers did appreciate the fact that you could go straight from the bean to the cup, thanks to the grinder that is integrated into the machine
- Buyers said the keep warm facility works pretty well
- Buyers also said the water gauge level is very handy
- Finally buyers also said that this machine is very quiet, when compared to other filter coffee makers they have owned in the past
Russell Hobbs 22000 Specification
Just below we have included the technical specification for those who want that type of detail.
- Measures 38.6 x 35 x 27.8 cm, weighs 4 Kg and is made from stainless steel
- Has a 1.5 litre capacity - enough for 12 cups or 5 mugs of coffee
- Comes with an integrated coffee grinder mill (range of grinding options)
- Has a permanent filter
- Has a 24-hour programme feature
- Keeps coffee warm for up to 40 minutes
- Has a water level gauge
- 1-4 cup options
Aside from the obvious benefit of having a built-in grinder, this machine also has all of the basic features that you would expect from any model of filter machine. That includes a keep warm plate, the glass carafe and a permanent filter.
It does however also have a pause function where you can pour a cup of coffee and then return the carafe and it will carry on brewing.
The LED is also very clear and easy to read. Even with the program features this is not a complicated machine to get used to.
You can fill the water tank from either side which is handy, and it also has an easy to see and easy to read water level indicator.
Generally speaking when compared to other brands and models of filter coffee machines, this one has a lot more features than most. That is probably however reflected in the price.
Our Verdict on the Russell Hobbs Chester Grind and Brew Coffee Machine
This model came out at number 6 on our top 10 list of filter machines. You can click on that link if you want to see the full list. The majority of buyers are happy with their purchase, though the 14% who left bad reviews, were well justified simply due to the nature of the complaints.
The best way to make great tasting coffee is to buy fresh whole beans, and then grind those just before use. This Russell Hobbs machine allows you to do that.
You can of course switch the grinder off and simply use pre-ground filter coffee.
It can also be timed and programmed and both of those features are very useful to have.
The machine is also very quiet when compared to other filter machine models, and has a large 12 cup capacity, so ideal for family use or for entertaining.
The LCD display is easy to see and there are enough features on this machine to make it interesting. If you register this product online, you do get an extra free year added to the guarantee.
This model has an RRP of £139.99 but if you hunt around, you can usually pick it up for a great deal cheaper than that. If you can get it for under £60 then it is we believe good value for money.